Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sweet Potato & Turkey Sheperds Pie Recipe

So I've had some more free time lately, and I'm finally getting more mobile after my surgery (*hip surgery on April 22). I was feeling pretty ambitious yesterday and decided to whip up something fun for dinner. I thought, "Why not Shepherd's Pie?" "But wait...", I thought. "That's so bad for us." I decided to make a more healthy version to save our arteries. I pretty much winged it and the outcome was delicious! The picture doesn't do it justice. It tastes much better than it looks & wanted to share the wealth...
I need to credit my hubby for doing some of the prep and chopping. thanks Chris, You're a "cut above the rest." :)


Ingredients:

Filling:
2 lbs. Ground Turkey (I used white meat for the "health" factor, but you can use dark meat or mix a combo of both)
olive oil
salt
black pepper
1 white onion, chopped (I used Vidallia)
1-2 Clove Garlic, chopped
8-10 Carrots, chopped.
1 1/2 tablespoons Dried Thyme
1 tablespoon Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 cup Red Wine (I used Cabernet, but you can use whatever you have on hand.)
1 cup Chicken Stock
1 can tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cup frozen peas
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Dried Sage

Topping:
4 Sweet Potatoes or Yams, chopped.
2 Whole Cloves Garlic
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
4 oz Non-Fat, Plain Greek Yogurt

Cooking Steps:
1. Boil chopped potatoes & garlic together until fork tender. Drain & Mash.
2. Add Greek Yogurt & cheese until smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F.
4. Cook Ground Turkey. (I prepped ahead of time and refrigerated, but you can make at once, prior to cooking the veggies.)
5. Saute the onion in a large pan w/ olive oil (salt & pepper). Until translucent.
6. Add chopped carrots
7. Add chopped garlic.
8. Add thyme after the carrots are slightly softened.
9. Sprinkle mixture with flour & stir until the flour is translucent.
10. Add Wine & reduce.
11. Add tomato paste & Worcestershire sauce. mix completely.
12. Add chicken stock & reduce.
13. Stir in the frozen peas.
14. Add Cayenne & sage.
15. Pour the mixture into a 8 X 10 baking dish.
16. Top with your mashed potato mixture.
17. Bake for 30 minutes (covered with tin foil).
18. Remove the foil and bake for 5-10 minutes until slightly brown on top.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment